Amelia is a Senior Legal Counsel specialising in commercial contracting in the technology sector, with particular interest in intellectual property.
Amelia has extensive experience advising on commercial contracts across all industries, from start-ups to large Government departments and within the NFP sector.
Amelia is especially passionate about balancing risk to meet objectives and reducing the complexity of contracting to improve commercial outcomes.
“Through building strong business relationships and working with clients as a collaborative contributor rather than an authoritative advisor, I deliver solid commercial solutions and achieve desirable and strategic outcomes. I enjoy working with clients to craft simple and creative commercial solutions that represent the core of a client’s business while protecting their commercial and legal interests.
I have cultivated a unique approach and perspective to my work through several career-shaping experiences and significant mentorship from a diverse range of more experienced lawyers. Among these are five-years I spent helping to build a start-up law firm which now operates in three countries; another is four years working on nationally significant major projects within Government, including several secondments to the Department of Defence; and finally, the valuable time I have dedicated to pro-bono matters and community legal centres”.
Industry and career experience
Amelia has experience advising on all aspects of Commercial Law including:
- Intellectual Property asset and brand protection
- Contracts and commercial models, as well as corporate structure
- Consumer Law and Privacy Law
Amelia has worked with a variety of public and private clients across most sectors, particularly:
- Technology, from start-ups to major ICT providers
- Government, including the Department of Defence and the Australian Federal Police
- Not for Profit, including the Cancer Council and Batyr
Prior to joining Source, Amelia worked at two top-tier law firms for Government and private sector clients, and a high-growth NewLaw start-up.
- Bachelor of Laws – Australian National University
- Bachelor of Science (Psychology) – Australian National University
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice – Australian National University
- NSW Practising Certificate – NSW Law Society
- Rising Star of the Year (SME) – Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Awards 2019 (finalist)
- 30 Under 30 (Technology) – Lawyers Weekly 30 Under 30 2021 (finalist)
Get to know Amelia
Amelia is passionate about improving the experience of early year lawyers in entering the legal profession, and is proud of the cultures she has been part of building, particularly at the start-up law firm.
Outside of the office, Amelia enjoys skiing for the ‘insanely fun’ adrenaline rush, and the cosy nights indoors watching the snow fall outside. After high school, she qualified as a ski instructor.
Outside of work, the majority of her time is spent with her two young children. She regularly enjoys pilates, yoga and swimming for a little peace and quiet, and hanging out with friends for fun.
Amelia loves any adventure, but her favourite travel destinations are Silver Star Mountain in Canada, Uluwatu, Bali and Berlin.